What to make for tonight's dinner

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Spicy Mixed Roasted Potatoes with Onion

I can't resist crispy roasted potatoes. They go so well with just about anything. Most varieties of potato roast well, I like to mix it up a little and add carrots, onions, parsnips, any of the root vegetables or even things like cranberries, fresh (hot or sweet) peppers, small little chunks of pork belly (bacon) or pancetta. I always use dried hot pepper flakes, as I did in this recipe which is a combination of sweet potato, red bliss, russet and onion. The important thing about achieving a crispy potato crust is to not overcrowd the pan, use enough oil, have the right heat and anybody can achieve perfect Roast Potatoes.



You certainly don't have to limit yourself to the varieties of potato that I used in this recipe. I happened to use this selection purely by what I had on hand in the house. I often will mix up the 2, 3 or more varieties I still have hanging around. Not having enough of one type to do much with, I mix them together regardless of the variety (how frugal of me.) I would have added carrots if I wasn't using sweet potatoes, they always add to the flavor so well. Fresh Rosemary is an option.


Ingredients:
1 sweet potato or yam- peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
1 large Russet potato- peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
several Red Bliss - cut into half if small 1/4's if bigger
1 onion - sliced into 1/8ths
red pepper flakes
4 Tablespoons or maybe more - Olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper

Method:
Preheat the oven to 425. Place the potatoes and onion in a large mixing bowl, Add the salt, pepper and hot pepper to your liking. Coat well with olive oil and transfer to a large enough roasting pan with out overcrowding. Roast for about 35 minutes, then test for doneness, depending on the size, how brown they are and how crispy you want them, you may end up roasting for more time. Sprinkle with some more salt while still hot. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment